What’s On: 21st-27th November
- Shoebox full of Love Appeal
- Where? Liverpool Guild of Students, Elizabeth Gidney 2
- When? Tuesday 22nd November, 5pm
Join Liverpool University’s Feminist and Help the Homeless societies in their project to help the homeless and vulnerable people of Merseyside over the festive period. The shoeboxes will be provided (however do not hesitate to bring your own) to decorate and fill with both gifts – as recommended in the image below – and also Christmas messages. A fantastic way to help those in need, whilst also showing off your creative flair!
2. Christopher Marlowe’s Dr Faustus
- Where? The Blackie
- When? Thursday the 24th- 26th of November
- Time? Doors at 7pm for a 7:30pm start
- Tickets £12 available at http://ticketsource.co.uk/brimstonetheatre
Join the Brimstone Theatre Company as they present the tale of Christopher Marlowe’s Dr Faustus, ideal for those studying English literature in first year or Renaissance drama in any other year! Featuring the talent of amateur actors from around Liverpool (some from the university itself!), the production promises to be a subversive tale of a man who sells his soul to the devil.
3. By The Rivers/ Will and the People plus The Isrights
- Where? Arts Club, Seel Street
- When? Thursday 24th November
- Time? 7pm support acts begin
- Tickets? £5 from www.ticketweb.co.uk
A new and upcoming group that combines ska, hip hop, reggae and afrobeat; By The Rivers have quickly developed a devoted fanbase. British four-piece Will & The People found international success as they toured around Europe and stateside, enjoying burgeoning support on Californian radio. If you’re looking for that perfect gig this week, this is the one.
4. Harry Potter and the Liverpool Pub Crawl
- When? Friday 25th November
- Where? Walkabout Liverpool (Concert Square)
- Time? 7pm
- Tickets? (3rd release) £6 from eventbrite.co.uk
As badly as 2016 has supposedly gone, Harry Potter fanatics may be able to argue otherwise with the launch and release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and most recently Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, starring Eddie Redmayne. And to celebrate Wasted Promotions have decided to take all four houses of Hogwarts on a night of ‘potion drinking,’ starting at Walkabout in concert square. Be there or be a Muggle. The choice is yours. (No one wants to be a Muggle)
5. Christmas with Artisans in the Palm House
- When? Friday 25th- Sunday 27th of November
- Where? The Palm House, Sefton Park
- Time? 5pm till late on Friday 25th, 12pm-6pm on the 26th-27th of November.
If, like us, you haven’t even begun to think about what to get your Auntie Jean for Christmas this year, then this is exactly what you need! An event hosting over 300 different independent creatives, you’re guaranteed to find a unique, personal and original gift for the ones you love whilst also discovering the work of talented crafters. It’s a win, win!
6. Theatre of the Void
- Where? Tate Liverpool, Albert Dock
- When? Sunday 27th November
- Time? 10am- 5pm
- Tickets? Enter code INTOTHEVOID at checkout for £5 ticket at www.tate.org.uk
‘On 27 November 1960, Yves Klein released a fake, one-day newspaper called Dimanche, “le journal d’un seul jour” (Sunday, one day newspaper) across newsstands in Paris. The made up broadsheet marked what Klein described as ‘Theatre of the Void’, his own public holiday. In the newspaper Klein announced ‘by presenting Sunday, November 27, 1960, from 0:00 to 24:00, I thus present a full day of festival, a true spectacle of the Void.’ He went on to state, ‘I wish that on this day joy and wonder will reign, that no one will get stage fright, and that everyone, conscious as well as unconscious actors-spectators of this gigantesque presentation, should have a good day. This conception of theatre that I propose is not only the city, Paris, but also the countryside, the desert, the mountains, even the sky, and even the entire universe. Why not?’’
A celebration of art with a theatrical statement in Liverpool’s most iconic Modern Art gallery, for such a low price? Count us in.